I recently found out that I was not invited to a wedding because I cannot control my children. I don't even think I can write how that feels. There are many things circling around in my head about this.
1. I do have 2 children that have been labeled ADHD and the other one is 3 years old. So no, they don't sit perfectly still waiting for hours on end. I know there are children somewhere out there that do. Mine don't. It's unfair and unrealistic to expect them to do so.
2. If I yelled at my children for every single thing they did that was wrong, inappropriate, or mildly offensive to someone, I would have lost my voice long ago. You have to pick your battles! Plus, I am their mom, not their warden.
3. I am well aware of all of this. I would not bring my three children to a formal wedding. One, maybe, but not all three and they don't really want to go, either. It's not their of a fun time at all to sit still and be bored. Other children can read books, draw, play DS. Willie simply cannot sit still that long, he can't read, he can't work a game boy thing... he's simply unaware.
4. If you don't want my children there to 'ruin' your big day, fine. But you could invite ME!! I still want to be there. I know the difference when I receive an invitation that says "Mr. and Mrs." and one that says "_____________ Family" or "Mr. and Mrs. and children".
5. Placing judgment that I am a bad parent because my children don't act in an idyllic fashion makes me very angry. We do our best to be the parents our children need us to be. We're all perfect parents until we have children, right?
6. I know this is not the first nor will it be the last time this has happened. (In fact, just this Christmas, a blood relative suggested Willie stay home so we could enjoy ourselves.) Such is life with a special needs child. People simply do not know how to deal with it, so they exclude you. I know I've built some walls because of this. Sometimes, I do feel like if someone isn't understanding, I do not have time for that person to be in my life. It's not worth the stress. I have more than enough stress as it is.
And last but not least, these are my babies. I love them dearly. They are doing the best they can. STEP OFF! You want to hear about out of control children? I work at a school, and I've seen some!
I am very grateful to have an awesome groups of friends. I love you all, you mean so much to me. I think I'd be insane for real without you girls! I know you understand, especially my weird sister.
Monday, June 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


oh girl, that sucks. shame on that person big time. i can only imagine the gammut of emotions that tidbit of knowledge brought you. I agree that we're ALL perfect parents, until we become one.
ReplyDeletei pray the person responsible for your exclusion someday is given the opportunity of fully understanding the pain inflicted on others with their ignorant, crass, and offensive behavior.
{{{hugs}}} i love you. willy or otherwise. he's just a piece of the puzzle that makes up YOU.
Dang! Marissa couldn't have said it better. Shame on that individual. Thats hurtful and wrong.
ReplyDeleteLots of hugs for you. We all love you and you know that. I think thats all you need to know. :)
HUGE hugs to you. I know you've been through this before and will again, but everytime it's bound to hurt. HUGE HUGE hugs!
ReplyDeleteGirl you know I know. I don't want those pre-printed "My child has autism" cards. I want a pre-printed card that says "piss off a-hole"
ReplyDeleteonly a phone call away if you need me
The ignorance of some people. How can peiople be so hurtful and just plain stupid?
ReplyDeleteLots of hugs for you!! You are a great parent and you have great kids and the people that really matter know that! Hopefully one day this person comes to realize this and how dumb they were.
And you and Willie and the whole gang are invited to my next wedding!!
This piss me off! How F..Rude!!!
ReplyDelete((hugs))
Some people where born w.out a brain and heart....
i love tiffany's idea of "piss off" cards vs. the autism awareness ones. I could have used a few of the "yes, i DO beat my child. and?" cards rather than trying to get strangers to understand facial hemangiomas.
ReplyDelete{{{still loving you AND willie}}}
big sis,
ReplyDeletedon't worry about it. i love my nephews and their parents :) and will never exclude them from anything. ESPECIALLY my wedding.