Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Oops.


Last night, I was taking Aiden to a friend's house. They were going to go see The Tale of Desperaux. My mom had taken Willie to OT and Bob was still at work. I told Aiden and Robert to get their shoes and coats on. They did a great job, and I asked them to get my keys and go start buckling in while I finished getting ready.
Okay so they are outside, I'm ready. I find my coat, grab it, lock the door and pull it shut. I plunge my hand into my coat pocket to get my keys out but there was nothing there. Then I notice that the boys aren't in the car. They could not find my keys so they just went outside to wait. ACK, we were locked out. Being winter, there was a slim to none chance that any windows were open. We double checked the back door. Everything was locked.
I start pondering the choices, and realize that we really have to figure something out. My next door neighbors aren't home. We could walk to my MIL's house, but she was working last night, so that would not do much good. I also happened to have left my cell phone in the house. After all, we were just running Aiden to a friend's house.
We walked to my down the street neighbor's house, my SIL's ex-husband. Really nice guy. Says, "Actually, I may have a key to your house." He looks through his extra keys and sure enough, he pulls out a spare key to our house. But, that handle broke a while ago, and we had since replaced it. So, it only worked in the deadbolt, not the handle. Grr. He offers to take us where we need to go and we hop in the car. Turns out he knew exactly where to go because he works with Aiden's friend's dad at the Water Dept. Small world!
I used his cell phone to call my mom, who was far from coming home, and dh, who says, okay, see you later. So, I'm thinking dh is coming home to let us in. It is after 7pm and usually, he's home by then anyway. Time is ticking and we have played air hockey with a plastic snowflake ornament, we have spun coins across the table, Bobert ate a bagel and drank two glasses of milk. I look at a clock and it was after 8pm. What? So I called dh back and he's STILL at work. He didn't understand I wanted him to come home right away. He was having a rough day at work and was trying to finish something up. I tell him nevermind, my mom will be back soon by this time.
Finally, we got back in the house. I had three missed calls on my phone, and it was past everyone's bedtime. Aiden got home 10 minutes after we did. I was wondering if he would beat us home.
The funny thing is I usually double check to make sure I have my keys! But we were hurrying and it slipped by. Praise God for kind neighbors. :)

3 comments:

  1. yikes! I hate when something like that happens. But at least you did have options.

    Too bad we don't live closer...although with all that time on your hands, you could have walked here. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, what a day!
    we have done this several times and just by chance the window was open, abby would crawl in to get the key and unlock the door. she loved it. but now we have hidden key in the backyard.
    glad you guys were okay and God provided a way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you eventually got back in and thank goodness for great neighbors!

    ReplyDelete